I often feel blocked. Not because I do not have anything to say, but because I am not sure where to begin. what to do if I finish. What if it is not good? What if if is hack-eyed and crap writing? How do I develop characters so they are not card board cutouts? How do I write sharper dialogue and more concise descriptions? How do I get what I envision in my head onto the page?
What I write never seems good enough once I begin. I fret over its shortcomings and push it away. I move onto another project or begin another piece.
Yet the questions persist. Soon I grow anxious. When I grow anxious I eat. I have struggled with this for years. I can’t control the eating or stop it. I have tried to work with it. I buy fruit and salad and give myself permission to eat it all. And I do. Then I feel terrible with the lack of self control.
- Where the Magic Happens (emmiemears.com)
- Road Block (sunnydelyte21.wordpress.com)
- Vonnegut’s tips on writing a great story (holykaw.alltop.com)
- Did You Ever Want to be a Fiction Writer (aisjournal.com)
- Grown Up Creativity: You Have The Right To Be Creative (lifestyle30.wordpress.com)
- Creative Thursday on How to Solve Creative Block (lotusandbee.com)